Fighting for a bright, sustainable future
Mike is a global leader in the fight against the climate crisis and has helped drive progress on every continent through his role as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Climate Action. He has worked with cities, states, and businesses to keep our country moving forward on climate change despite President Trump’s failed attempts to drag us backwards. As president, Mike will ensure the federal government leads an ambitious agenda to accelerate the U.S. toward a clean energy economy.
- Mike’s partnership with the Sierra Club to replace U.S. coal-fired power plants with clean energy has led to nearly 300 coal plant closures and 10,000 fewer deaths from coal pollution each year. According to Politico, it may be the most successful campaign “in the history of the environmental movement.”
- Mike and former California Governor Jerry Brown have rallied thousands of cities, states, businesses, and other organizations to uphold America’s obligations under the Paris Climate Agreement, after President Trump announced he would pull out of the pact.
- Mike created America’s most comprehensive urban sustainability plan, which reduced New York City’s carbon footprint by 14%, expanded solar power, eliminated dirty-burning heating oil, and achieved New York City’s cleanest air quality in more than 50 years.
- Mike’s mayoral administration planted 800,000 trees and added 850 acres of parkland.
- Mike has led the charge to improve how companies measure and report climate-related financial risks, which helps them take actions to combat the climate crisis and build a more resilient economy.