Proven global leadership.
After leading New York City’s recovery from the 9/11 attacks, Mike knows that defending our country is a president’s most important task. For 12 years, he was responsible for protecting the lives of millions who live and work in one of the world’s most vital cities. He did so by hiring the smartest and most capable professionals, and listening to their advice. He put in place decision-making structures that enabled fast, well-considered action. He invested in intelligence-gathering and deterrence. And he worked closely with partners around the country and the world – as he has continued to do in his efforts to battle global climate change.
Crises cannot be predicted, but how leaders respond can. Unlike President Trump, a Bloomberg administration won’t act rashly in a crisis. It will think through the consequences of its actions, both immediate and long-term. And when Mike acts, he will do so just as Americans would hope – calmly, decisively and, above all, effectively.
Mike's Record on Foreign Policy
- Mike is the president of the board of the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group, a network of the world’s megacities dedicated to finding and implementing proven climate solutions.
- Mike was appointed by United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres as Special Envoy for Climate Action, with the charge of supporting the UNSG’s climate strategy and mobilizing support for a more ambitious approach to fighting climate change.
- Mike served as the World Health Organization’s Global Ambassador for Noncommunicable Diseases and Injuries, supporting global efforts to protect people and save lives by helping to spread proven solutions and building partnerships between cities and local leaders.
- Mike is the founder of Bloomberg Philanthropies, whose mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. It has worked in 510 cities and 129 countries.
- Mike created the Bloomberg Global Business Forum, which brings together government and business leaders to collaborate and find solutions to big challenges.
- Mike created the Climate Finance Leadership Initiative, which brings together seven of the world’s largest financial institutions with the goal of helping to fund and support ambitious climate plans.